resource center

HUD Termite Inspection Reporting and Requirements

Subterranean termites cause an estimated $5 billion in damage to structures in the United States every year. While effective post-construction termite control treatments can be made, the vast majority of these treatments take place after damage has already occurred. Pre-construction preventative termite treatments allow for the application of protective products to be applied before termites strike.


Updated: 7/14/2023
The NPMA 99a and 99b forms are currently under review with the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) for final approval. NPMA has been in contact with OMB for an update on when to expect final approval, but have not yet received an ETA. Despite the expiration date on these forms, they remain valid for use while OMB processes the renewal package for extension and publishing. NPMA will provide any updated information as it is received from OMB. 


New Construction

(Proposed Construction, Under Construction and Existing Less than 1 Year Old)

HUD’s Single Family Housing Policy Handbook (SF Handbook; HUD Handbook 4000.1) effective October 15, 2019, mandates the usage and submission of the following forms in all areas of the country. Click here to review HUD’s Termite Treatment Exception Area’s which provides a detailed list of exempted states and counties. States that are not listed and have historically required termite inspection reports still require termite inspection reports for all new construction.

HUD-NPMA-99A (Subterranean Termite Protection Builder's Guarantee) - Must be completed by the builder and specifies whether the work was done by the pest control company or the builder (in the rare case of using extensive pressure treated lumber as termite prevention). The form clearly delineates the responsibilities of the builder, and the builder must guarantee that any work done complies with the building code.

HUD-NPMA-99B (New Construction Subterranean Termite Service Record) - Must be completed by the pest control company and now includes all code-accepted methods into one service record. The code-accepted methods include Soil Applied Liquid Termiticide, Wood Applied Liquid Termiticide, Bait System, and Physical Barrier System.


Existing Property

Inspecting old construction is equally if not more important than new construction. Over time, wood destroying insects can cause serious structural damages to a house, and may go undetected for a long periods. HUD’s Single Family Housing Policy Handbook (SF Handbook; HUD Handbook 4000.1) effective October 15, 2019, requires wood destroying insect inspections and proper documentation of existing property if any of the following factors apply:

Customary to the Area - Local HUD offices can assist in providing guidance on what constitutes “customary to the area.” Generally, if your locality is not listed in HUD’s Termite Treatment Exception Area then termite inspection reports will be considered customary to the area and therefore required.

Mandated by the state or local jurisdiction - Some states or municipalities mandate that wood destroying insect inspections be performed.

Evidence of Active Infestation - Appraisers are required to observe all areas of the house and other structures/areas with the property boundaries. If any active infestation is identified NPMA-33 must be submitted.

Lender’s Discretion - Conventional lending companies take guidance from HUD. In recent years more and more lenders are taking a more cautious approach towards lending resulting in more inspections and reporting requirements.

NPMA-33 (Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Report) - If any of the above four factors apply, HUD mandates the usage and submission of the NPMA-33 form.

In the states listed below, the state inspection form should be used. In some cases HUD may still require the NPMA-33 for HUD insured loans.


North Carolina
South Carolina

Additional information can be found in HUD’s Appraisal and Property Requirements issued by HUD’s regional Atlanta office.

For further guidance please contact Mike Bentley at NPMA (703) 352-6762.

To find out if you have to be a certified Wood Destroying Organism Inspector in your state to use the NPMA-33 form please click here. *This information was compiled by The Association of Structural Pest Control Regulatory Officials (ASPCRO) in a 2017 survey.